“I don’t think they know about Second Breakfast, Pip.”
Once upon a time, there was a girl who loved words. She loved reading words, writing words, and discovering new words. She was home schooled, and her Mum, realizing this passion, let her focus on English and Creative Writing, and because of this, the girl forever knew she was going to be a writer. One sunny summer day, when she was helping her Mum out in the garden, they started talking about blogging–Mum had already been writing on her blog for years, and the girl thought it sounded fun. So after thinking, writing, and finally coming up with a name from one of her favorite books. . .
I started a blog.
Second Breakfast is all about my life in Nebraska living on a small family farm, the many books I read, food I cook (and bake), photography, friends, family, and fun, adventures I have, preparing to leave home school to be an English major in college next year, and my struggles with Chronic Daily Headaches, trying to be rid of them, and until then, living my life best as I can with daily pain.
New? Here are some favorite posts, to get you started!
(And don’t forget to subscribe, in the sidebar to the right!)
- A few favorite recipes:
- Making Moussaka for the first time.
- My favorite pie, with a twist–Sour cherry pie, with bacon-crumb crust!
- And my halfling cookbook. (That’s right–a whole cookbook based on Tolkien’s books!)
- Some thoughts on writing:
- I carry my journal everywhere with me. . . I can’t stop journaling.
- We ought to encourage young writers, not discourage them!
- My experiment with NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month).
- An adventure or two. . . or three:
- Warning: Don’t read Poe right before you explore an abandoned house!
- Snapshots from my trip to New Zealand.
- “I don’t know what’s happening today, but I know something exciting is going to happen.”
- Chronic Daily Headaches, et al:
- In which I explain my malady, and what we’re trying to understand and eliminate it.
- A continuation. . . more things we’ve tried.
- Eleven simple ways to make your day better (even when you have a headache).
- Semi-monthly reading updates and book reviews:
- Books I read in January. (Including The Princess Bride, Little Women, Whose Body, and others.)
- Books in February & March. (Love & Friendship, My Man Jeeves, Three Men in A Boat, and more!)
- Books I read in April. (Including Harry Potter: The Sorcerer’s Stone, for the first time, and more.)
- Books I read in May & June. (Great Expectations, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and others!)
I will show you a little piece of this crazy life I live, the wonderful family I have, and how the challenges we all face every day are better with a little second breakfast.